Travel to England

Here you will find answers to frequently asked questions about the entry requirements to England. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is no longer a member of the European Union. Brexit and Covid have changed the entry requirements. We have compiled the most important information for you. To avoid errors, we have copied the texts unchanged from the following website:

There are often adjustments and changes - please check the current status on the websites of the German goverment and British goverment or the official British tourism page.

Status, 1st January 2022

Visas and passports
As of 1 October 2021, identity cards will no longer be recognised as (entry) travel documents for EU citizens. This also applies to transit travellers. The British government generally insists on a passport for travel. The passport must be valid for the duration of your stay.
Yes, children and young people travelling to the UK for language courses will also need a passport from 1 October 2021.

Citizens of the EU, EEA and Switzerland can still enter the UK without a visa for holidays or short trips. In most cases, a stay of up to six months is possible. You can find out more here before you travel. Please check on if you need a UK visa.

For non-EU/EEA visitors, nothing has changed since the end of the transition period.

Students who are not EEA nationals but who are resident in an EEA country or Switzerland could enter the UK under the List-of-Travellers scheme until 1 October 2021. There is no decision at the moment on extending this procedure.

This decision has not yet been made. For information about collective visas, please visit the official website of the British government.

Travel insurance
The UK government advises visitors to take out travel insurance so that they can claim back any medical costs they have to pay from their insurer. Make sure your insurance has the necessary medical coverage to ensure you receive the treatment you need during your visit.

If you become ill during a temporary stay in England or have a medical emergency, you will still have access to medical care with a valid EHIC card. However, the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. One should additionally purchase travel or medical insurance that covers the period of travel. The UK government website has more information on healthcare and documents to bring as a visitor. Please note that the way travellers access health care in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland may be different than in England.

Border crossings and ferry terminals 
With the UK leaving the EU, nothing has changed at the border and ferry crossings. For more information on travel and passenger rights, visit the official government site. Due to Covid-19, separate rules apply to visitors who want to enter England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland from other countries. You can find out about testing and quarantine requirements here.
Import requirements
When you travel to the UK (England, Wales or Scotland) from outside the UK, your personal allowances allow you to import a certain amount of goods without paying tax or duty. When you import goods, you must: transport them yourself, use them yourself, or give them away. If you exceed your allowances, you must declare all your goods and pay taxes and duties on all goods in that category.
Mobile devices
The costs for phone calls, SMS and mobile data are set by your mobile provider. Please inform yourself about possible roaming charges before departure.
Phone Appointment
You want to arrange a callback with a SENLAC employee?

Then click here to get your appointment:

We would be happy to prepare a customized offer for you.

Please fill out the following form:


DE +49 (0) 38203 77 8316